Our Statement of Faith
Note: The statement of faith is not our authority, but it does articulate what we believe the Bible, our authority, teaches. The most important thing that binds Emmanuel’s church family together is the united conviction that these things are true.
Articles of Faith
1. Of The Scriptures – We believe that the Holy Bible as originally written was verbally inspired and the product of Spirit-controlled men, and therefore, is truth without any admixture of error for its matter. We believe the Bible to be the true center of Christian union and supreme standard by which all human conduct, creeds and opinions shall be tried. 2 Tim. 3:16, 17; 2 Peter 1:19-21.
2. Of The True God – We believe in one living, infinite, and true God, the Maker and Supreme Ruler of heaven and earth, eternally existing in three Persons-Father, Son and Holy Spirit equal in every Divine perfection and executing distinct but harmonious offices in the great work of redemption. 1 Chron. 29:11, 12; Ex. 20:2, 3; Rev. 4:11; 1 John 5:7; John 14:15-21; Acts 5:30-32; John 16:13; Rom. 8:16, 26, 27.
3. Of The Virgin Birth – We believe that Jesus Christ was begotten of the Holy Ghost in a miraculous manner, born of Mary, a virgin, as no other man was ever born or can be born of a woman, and that He is both the Son of God and God the Son. Gen. 3:15; Is. 7:14; Mt. 1:18-25; Luke 1:35; John 1:4.
4. Of The Holy Spirit – We believe that the Holy Spirit is a divine person, equal with God the Father and God the Son and of the same nature; that He was active in the creation; that He convicts of sin, of righteousness and of judgment; that He bears witness to the truth of the Gospel in preaching and testimony; that He is the agent of the new birth; that He seals, baptizes, indwells, guides, teaches, fills, sanctifies, helps, make intercession for and bears witness to the believer. Apostolic gifts, such as tongues and healing were unique to the first century church. John 3:5-8; John 14:16, 17, 26; John 16:8-11; Eph. 1:13; Eph. 5:18; 1 Cor. 12:13; Gen. 1:1, 2; 1 Cor. 13:8.
5. Of The Devil or Satan – We believe in the personal existence of demons and Satan. Satan is the unholy prince of this age of fallen man and the ruler of all the powers of darkness and is destined to the judgment of eternal punishment in the lake of fire. Mt. 4:1-11; Eph. 6:12; Rev. 20:10; Gen. 3:1-5; Eph. 2:2; Mark 1:34.
6. Of The Creation – We believe in the direct creation of the universe and man by God, according to the Genesis account of creation, apart from any process of evolution. Genesis, Chapters 1 and 2; Colossians 1:16, 17.
7. Of The Fall of Man – We believe that man was created in innocence under the law of his Maker, but by voluntary transgression fell from his sinless and happy state in consequence of which all mankind are now sinners, not only by constraint but by choice; and therefore, under just condemnation without defense or excuse. Gen. 3:1-6; Rom. 5:10-19; Rom. 1:18, 32.
8. Of The Atonement for Sin – We believe the salvation of sinners is wholly of grace through the mediatorial work of the Lord Jesus Christ; that He died for our sins according to the scriptures as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice. All who believe in Him are justified on the ground of His shed blood and are in possession of a salvation which is eternally secur. Eph. 2:8, 9; Heb. 7:25; 1 John 2:2; 1 Peter 2:24; Heb. 9:12-15; Is. 53:4-6; 1 John 5:13; 1 Timothy 2:5.
9. Of The New Birth – We believe that in order to be saved, sinners must be born again; that the new birth is a new creation in Christ Jesus; that it is instantaneous and not a process; that in the new birth the one dead in trespasses and in sins is made a partaker of the divine nature and receives eternal life, the free gift of God; that the new creation is brought about in a manner above our comprehension, solely by the power of the Holy Spirit in connection with divine truth, so as to secure our voluntary obedience to the gospel; that its proper evidence appears in the holy fruits of repentance and faith and newness of life. John 3:3,8; 2 Cor. 5:17, 19; 1 John 5:1; 1 John 3:6, 7; Acts 16:30-33; 2 Peter 1:4; Rom. 6:23; Eph. 2:1; Col. 2:13.
10. Of The Priesthood of Believers – We believe in the universal spiritual priesthood of believers, i.e., all true believers are priests and have the privilege of approaching God through Christ, and of interpreting the Scriptures through the Holy Spirit. 1 Tim. 2:5; Rev. 1:6; 1 John 2:17, John 14:16, 17.
11. Of The Local Church – We believe that a local church is a congregation of immersed believers, associated by covenant of faith and fellowship of the Gospel; observing the ordinances of Christ; governed by His laws; and exercising the gifts, rights and privileges invested in them by His word; led by pastors and deacons, whose qualifications, claims and duties are clearly defined in the Scriptures. We believe the true mission of the church is the faithful witnessing of Christ to all men as we have opportunity. We hold that the local church has the absolute right of self-government free from interference of any hierarchy of individuals or organizations; and that the one and only Superintendent is Christ through the Holy Spirit; that it is scriptural for true churches to cooperate with each other in contending for the faith and for the furtherance of the Gospel; that each local church is the sole judge of all measure and method of its’ cooperation; on all matters of membership, of polity, of government, of discipline, of benevolence, the will of the local church is final. Acts 2:41, 42; 1 Cor. 11:2; Eph. 1:22, 23; Eph. 4:11; Acts 20:17-28; 1 Tim. 3:1-7; Col. 1:18; Eph. 2:23, 24; Acts 15:13-18.
12. Of Baptism and The Lords Supper – We believe Christian baptism is the immersion of a believer in water to show forth a solemn and beautiful emblem of our faith in the crucified, buried, risen Saviour, symbolizing our death to sin and resurrection to a new life; and that it is prerequisite for church membership. We believe that the Lords Supper is a commemoration of His death until He comes and should always be preceded by solemn self-examination. Rom. 6:3, 4; 1 Cor. 11:23-33; Acts 8:36-39; Matthew 3:16.
13. Of The Resurrection – We believe in the bodily resurrection of our crucified Lord, in His ascension into Heaven, and in His present life there for us as High Priest and Advocate. 1 Cor. 15:1-4; Acts 1:8-11; Heb. 4:15, 16; 1 John 2:1, 2.
14. Of The Return of Christ – We believe in “That Blessed Hope” which is the catching up of all believers of the church age, living and dead, at Christs imminent return. This event will be followed by a period of tribulation, the visible, bodily return of our Lord Jesus Christ to this earth, the millennial reign of Christ and the saints, the Great White Throne Judgment Seat and the eternal state. 1 Thess. 4:13-17; Rev. 20:1-15.
15. Of Eternity – We believe in the bodily resurrection of the dead, both of the just and the unjust, the everlasting conscious punishment of the lost in Hell, eternally separated from God and the everlasting blessedness of the saved in full enjoyment of Gods presence in Heaven and earth. 1 Cor. 15:20-24; Rev. 20:12-15.